India is a country with predominantly hot weather. While the winter months are cool in some parts of the country, for most of the year, the weather is hot and tropical. Hence, hill stations are the preferred vacation spots across the country.
There are many mountain ranges in India, including the Himalaya Range, Pir Panjal Range, Purvanchal Range, Satpura & Vindhya Range, Aravalli Range, Sahyadri Range, and the Eastern Ghats.
These mountains have quaint towns nestled among them that have evolved into hill station destinations. So, if you have been planning a road trip, then here are some hill stations that you can consider.
Top Hill Stations You Can Consider for the Best Road Trips in India
Here is the list of some hill stations that you can consider for an all India trip by road:
- McLeod Ganj, Himachal Pradesh
Also called Little Lhasa, McLeod Ganj is a little suburb in Dharamshala with a sizable Tibetan population. The town boasts of one of the most beautiful landscapes in Himachal Pradesh. In addition, there are some religiously significant monasteries and the scenic Dal Lake for a quiet evening. The weather is pleasant around the year except for the monsoon months (July to September).
- Darjeeling, West Bengal
Known as the Queen of the Himalayas, Darjeeling was the summer capital of India under the British Raj. It is nestled among tea plantations and has a cool climate around the year. The town offers panoramic views of the Kanchenjunga peak. You can also sip on the world-famous Darjeeling tea while soaking in the cool weather.
- Mussoorie, Uttarakhand
Mussoorie is popularly known as the Queen of the Hills. It has a backdrop of the Shivalik Range and Doon Valley. It has a cool and pleasant climate round the year. It still has a distinct colonial vibe and offers some beautiful views of the valleys and mountains surrounding it.
- Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Manali needs no introduction. Offering fantastic views of the Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal Ranges, Manali has evolved into one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country. There are numerous trekking options around Manali, and the overall joyous environment makes it a must-visit hill station in India.
- Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
Kodaikanal is nestled on the rolling slopes of Palani hills in Tamil Nadu. The literal meaning of the word Kodaikanal is ‘Gift of the Forests’, and it stands true to its name. It has beautiful weather around the year, with mist-covered mountains and amazing waterfalls that come together to offer a surreal experience to travellers.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Going on a Road Trip
- Once you have decided the destination, plan your route on a map. Get a realistic idea of the time it would take to reach and the stops along the way.
- Check weather conditions before leaving. It is a known fact that weather in the hills can change within minutes.
- Despite having a plan, don’t be too rigid about it. Remember, a road trip is about the journey, not just the destination.
- If you are travelling during peak season, then ensure that you book your stay before leaving.
- Get your vehicle serviced before leaving. The engine, brakes, and tyres should be in good shape.
- Keep all key documents with you, like your driving licence and car-related papers.
- Get a travel insurance plan. If you are travelling by car with your family, then you can look at a family travel insurance policy.
- Even if you have travel insurance for students because you are studying abroad, you still need to get travel insurance in India for your trip.
- Pack an emergency kit with first-aid, water, flashlight, warm blankets, and a roadside safety kit.
Things to Look for in Your Travel Insurance Before Going on a Road Trip
- When you are on the road, your trip could get delayed because of traffic jams, diversions, etc. If you have pre-booked a hotel room, then this could mean losing the reservation. Check if your insurer offers reimbursements in such cases.
- If you are travelling out of your home state, then check if the insurer has any clause about out-of-state emergencies. For example, road trips can have emergencies like accidents or food poisoning that might need urgent attention.
- Usually, travel insurance starts from the day the policyholder checks into the hotel. However, on a road trip, you would want the coverage to begin from the moment you leave your driveway. Talk to the insurer and ensure that this is done.
India has a diverse landscape with unending vistas and mesmerising landscapes. Road trips allow you to be a part of the cultural and natural diversity that the country has to offer. There are many beautiful places to visit, and your vehicle can take you and your loved ones to these places with ease. While we have listed five hill stations, you have a huge country to explore. Ensure that your vehicle is fit for the journey, buy travel insurance, and plan your trip to make it a memorable one. Good Luck!