Travelling is an exciting adventure, but instead of exploring the same old destinations and sites, consider looking for hidden wonders. Many highlight places are generally disregarded, but are packed with surprises and uniqueness. Gems like ancient towns, remote islands, and hidden natural wonders globally deserve recognition because they also guarantee thrilling experiences. Enjoy exploring lesser-known places, finding hidden gems, and enhancing the excitement of your travel.
If you also believe in the off the beaten path travel concept, you should read through the blogs written by UK traveller James Smith. To date, he has travelled in more than 100 countries. His travel website, Only By Land, is all about his personal experiences and some hidden gems he discovered during his excursion.
Some Hidden Gems in the World
- Hidden Beach, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico– The Marieta Islands, once a bomb site near Puerto Vallarta with a tragic background, have been turned into a unique natural wonder with a secret beach.
- Matera, Italy– The Faroe Islands in the North Atlantic offers breathtaking landscapes featuring gorgeous mountains, cliffs, and villages. Here you can explore Lake Sorvagsvatn, Kalsoy Island, and Gjogv.
- Hampi, India– Hampi, in Karnataka, is a hidden gem with a rich past of the Vijayanagara Empire. History buffs and architecture enthusiasts can tour magnificent structures and ancient temples.
- Huacachina, Peru– Huacachina, a desert oasis in southern Peru, is known for its picturesque lagoon, surrounded by dunes and palm trees. The spectacular desert views and popular sandboarding and dune buggy adventures draw many visitors to this place.
- Meteora, Greece– Meteora in central Greece is well-known for its rock formations and old monasteries constructed in the 14th and 15th centuries and settled on steep slopes. The area has plenty of hiking paths that offer amazing views of the landscape and monasteries.
- Socotra Island, Yemen– Around 800 unusual plant and animal species can be found in this unique region, which is 20 million years old. It is a perfect place for nature lovers to discover remarkable species for a fantastic experience.
- The Bamboo Forest, Japan– The Bamboo Forests rest in Arashiyama – on the peaceful outskirts of Kyoto, Japan. The forest keeps you relaxed and away from the hustle and bustle.
- Museum of Brands, Packaging, and Advertising, London, England– The extraordinary modern museum The Museum of Brands, Packaging, and Advertising focuses on the development of consumer culture up to the 20th century. The museum can be enjoyed by all age groups.
- Luang Prabang, Laos– This city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is hidden in the mountains of Laos and has stunning temples, markets, and delectable food. The area makes relaxing and fully immersing oneself in the culture easier.
- Tainan, Taiwan– Taipei usually gets all the attention in Taiwan, but Tainan in the south shows off the country’s rich culture and history. The ancient temples and the local cuisine make it a hidden gem in Asia.
There can be any other city or location that you discover to be a hidden wonder. Mother Nature has given us some beautiful and unbelievable gems. If you know such a place, share it with the world.